One of the keys to clean eating within a budget is to eat local and in season. In Australia we are spoilt for choice. We can almost get any fruit, vegetable or herb all year as we import from all round the word.
That being said, it's much better to choose local and in season when you can. To begin with it helps to be aware of what is in season.
August in season ----->
mushrooms, cultivated, shiitake
Fruits, berries and nuts
I have been using some lovely red grapefruit in salads lately. They are delicious if you pop them in the fridge for a while before you go to use them. This is a super simple salad but it's the dressing that makes all the difference.
Ruby Red Grapefruit Salad
- mixed greens ( I buy tubs from the farmers markets all different mixes )
- pink grapefruit segmented
- yellow capsicum sliced finely
- slivered almonds roasted (added last)
- leftover juice from your grapefruit you segmented
- decent splash of olive oil
- dollop of honey
- teaspoon of grain mustard
- cracked black pepper
Whisk together and pour onto salad just as you are serving it.
I had never segmented fruit before - I had seen it done on masterchef and thought it must be complicated. It's not - I watched this how to and then did it.
Love it! So easy and makes your salad seem way more impressive than it is.
This salad is a great match for salmon.