Last week Mel posted her yummy looking coffee cake recipe. It reminded me that I have a great coffee cake recipe that I haven't made forever so when I had to add something else to our dessert line up for our BBQ I dug up the recipe. I love it because it's a throw it all in and mix one. You can't go wrong.
- 3 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 100ml oil
- 1 3/4 cup SR flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tspn instant coffee
- 1 tbspn water
- 1/2 cup of chopped nuts - any pecan, brazil, walnut your choice.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Whip your egg whites until stiffened
- Dissolve the coffee in the water
- In a bowl add all the ingredients except the egg whites and nuts. Mix until combined - about 90 secs with an electric beater.
- Fold through the nuts and egg whites.
- Pour into two prepared round 18cm tins. Bake for 30 minutes.
Icing - 2 cups of icing sugar, 2 tablespoons of softened butter or margarine, 1 tsp of coffee dissolved in 1 tbspns of water. Mix together and sandwich half the mix between the two cooled cakes. Ice the top and decorate with chocolate chips.
It's a shame Mel and I don't live in the same state or we could have a Coffee Cake Bake Off and invite you all to come be the judges :)