Its been just over a month since my last round of chemo. Yesterday I had an appointment with my surgeon.
He's happy with how I am progressing. I have some nerve damage in my arm which is to be expected but he has given the go ahead to continue with chemo.
It's a necessary evil - but I figure the sooner I start the sooner I finish
In the not so good news the pathology on my tumour has revealed it to be triple negative. The original biopsy was different so they are retesting and I will know more at my next oncologist appointment. Breast Cancer tumours are "fed" by estrogen receptors (ER-), progesterone receptors (PR-), and/or HER2 (HER2-). Testing negative for all three means the cancer is triple-negative. About 10- 20% of breast cancers are triple negative and at this stage researchers are trying to find the medication that will work for triple negative cancers. So that means no targeted therapies for me. You can read more on what that means exactly over here.
We are focused on the fact that for now it's gone and my surgeon did a wonderful job and so we keep on moving through to the next stage.
In everyday life .....some good stuff :)
- I'm still sleeping a crazy amount of hours I wonder if its just catch up from all the years of not sleeping? ( I'm a 4 - 5 hr a night girl in real life )
- I can drink a whole cup of tea and some days I manage two -it's just bliss.
- Every second day I sip Richards coffee and spit it out - its the thing I miss the most.
- I have driven twice in the last week - just with me in the car and a whole 5 minutes to Helensvale - I feel so independent.
- I have been out a number of times without hair. People stare but umm well its much cooler than my wig. Though to be honest an equal amount smile and I find the the shop assistants are much more chatty and smiley too.
- We have decided I will be right to host Christmas dinner :) So I'm busy planning a menu. The downside is that I used to be able to whip a menu out of nowhere shop for it 2 hours before and have it on the table without blinking - now my brain won't connect and I have lists on lists. I have gone back and forth to the store three times to look at the turkey and I still haven't decided. That drives me mad.
- I have read two whole books - that makes me very happy - I wasn't able to read because of my eyes and the lack of ability to remember the sentence before.
- Im still on two clexanne injections a day I hate it with a passion almost as much as I hated chemo - that's fierce I tell you- and no end in sight. My hematologist is not my friend.
- Christmas shopping has been a chore - you know the turkey thing - try doing that with every single present. - I go prepared and come home with like one thing.
- I have literally hundreds and hundreds of emails and cards and gifts to reply to - I'm overwhelmed by my inbox and my increasing pile of mail. I want you all to know its not that I don't want to reply. I'm so touched by the lovely lovely things and cards and notes that have arrived for both me and my girls but I just have only a certain number of hours in my day at the moment and I spend it doing things with the girls mostly or talking Richards ear off- hes on holidays :) It won't always be like this and I want to acknowledge everyones kindness as soon as I can :)
4 days till Christmas YAY - I'm so excited to see the girls faces when they find out what Santa has for them this year.
So my lovely blog readers I still need a hand with my dinner menu - link me up to your fav Christmas recipe - what's the one thing you have to have on Christmas day - I'd love to know.